Thursday, September 22, 2016

1. How I got started with Ancestry DNA

My friend encouraged me to get tested  so I sent in my Ancestry DNA kit.  Then I asked my parents and mother in law for spit for Christmas. Then my husband sent in his, My sister and brother were next!  Am I getting confused?  You bet!

I got an email through a cousin at Ancestry asking me for my Gedmatch number.  She gave me instructions and I did it.

  • I made a DNA folder on my computer to put all these files in.
  • I downloaded my DNA zipfile from Ancestry.  
  • I downloaded my Ancestry tree and kept it zipped.
  • I made a special email address for gedmatch security and correspondence.
  • I signed into gedmatch.com (free) 
  • I uploaded my DNA file and they send you a Gedmatch number.
  • I paid $10 to get upgraded resources on GEDmatch 
  • I uploaded my gedcom and paired it  with my  Gedmatch number.
  •  I repeated this with the other names that I am an Ancestry admin for.
  • I experimented with 1-1 matches, 1-many match and many others.
  • I sent a few emails and received a few emails and see how gedmatch people are very interested in research while many of my Ancestry contacts are not responding.

At Gedmatch I saw lots of spreadsheets but didn't really understand  the "Why" behind the spreadsheets.  This was a huge learning curve, but I persisted.

I went to the SCGS Jamboree DNA conference in Burbank CA in June 2016.   http://genealogyjamboree.com/2016/about.html     I found out why the spreadsheets is because there is so much data, many people that you need help organizing.  At the DNA conference, I was told to make a spreadsheet for each person, keep track of correspondence, add notes to the spreadsheets that they have.

I decided to use 4x6" index cards for each person that I am interested in.  I put the Ancestry number in the upper right,   Name, Email, connection (Gedmatch/Ancestry etc),  Family tree name & number, common surnames  and descendency on the back,

I intend to put the info on the spreadsheets but I like having an index card summary as I email.  I also need to make surname lists to send to my new DNA cousins.

At one of my conference sessions they said to make a form letter to help with correspondence.

And this is just the beginning!



No comments:

Post a Comment